Master of Health Science in Integrative Care
Preparing collaborative leaders to transform healthcare to be innovative, equitable, and sustainable
New 100% Online Graduate Certificate in Integrative Health and Wellbeing Coaching
This 15 credit graduate certificate focuses on the core building blocks for optimal health from a holistic perspective. Graduates of the program are eligible to apply for the HWC Certifying Examination to earn the designation National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
Reach out today to learn more!
The Master of Health Science in Integrative Care prepares leaders to co-create a thriving ecosystem of healthcare where every individual can offer their best self, contribute to optimal patient-centered care, and deliver equitable community outcomes.
Designed with you in mind, we offer flexible 100% online coursework that fits your life and current career, and gives you tools you can begin to apply right away – making your goal of transforming healthcare accessible and achievable.
Graduate in just one year or go at your own pace with a customizable schedule that works for you. With three specialization tracks, choose the coursework that fits your goals, focusing on the knowledge that applies directly to your career and future: Trauma Informed Integrative Care, Integrative Health Coaching, or Integrative Healthcare Administration.
Connect with a community of leaders advancing integrative, person-centered healthcare. With our online program, you can join the movement to transform healthcare from wherever you are and learn to improve the lives of individuals and build better healthcare systems for your community.
At NWHSU, our focus is singular and clear: we are educating leaders in person-centered, evidence-informed, integrative healthcare. With our MHS in Integrative Care, you will be prepared to reimagine healthcare that is innovative, equitable, sustainable – and accessible to individuals and their communities.
Courses are 7 weeks long with a brief break between sessions. Take two courses at a time to finish in just one year or take one course at a time for a more flexible pace. You don’t have to wait before finishing the core courses to begin your specialization. With 3 entry points a year, you can get started right away.
Join a community of leaders working together to advance integrative, person-centered healthcare. Learn alongside diverse individuals who bring unique perspectives forming a strong network across multiple healthcare disciplines. Together you will work to create a future of healthcare that makes a difference in the lives of individuals and their communities.
Relevant & Applicable
The curriculum was designed by a diverse team of national industry leaders and healthcare professionals modeling the best of integrative care; this ensures relevance and immediate applicability, helping you to engage in truly patient-centered, evidence-informed curriculum.
Integrative & Holistic
Integrative care offers a greater understanding of healing through the lens of interconnectedness, including self-awareness, self-care, community connection, and person-centered healthcare. We encourage you to apply that holistic framework to your own life, enhancing personal growth, health, and resiliency.
One of the things I am most excited about is that in this program we are preparing changemakers in the Healthcare industry.
– Michele Renee
DC, MAc, Director of Integrative Care
Program Requirements and Course Details
We believe the future of healthcare is integrative and person-centered. The Master of Health Science in Integrative Care prepares practitioners, administrators, and other healthcare professionals to be collaborative leaders in that future. Through this flexible online program, you’ll gain the knowledge and skills you need to transform healthcare and make a difference in the lives of patients. Each specialization area offers a unique complement to core integrative care concepts, expanding your opportunities to affect change in a meaningful way from wherever you are positioned within the healthcare industry:
- Trauma Informed Integrative Care: With a focus on better understanding the inextricable link between the mind and body, this specialization seeks to support people in healing from trauma and restoring wellness. Learn ways to provide multifaceted care that recognizes the relationship between trauma and pain, and how awareness of your own unconscious behaviors can make you a better provider. Transform healthcare, beginning with yourself – and create real change in the lives of your patients.
- Integrative Health Coaching: Enter or advance in the growing health coaching field to inspire whole person well-being in individuals and communities through functional and integrative health practices. With a curriculum designed to meet the National Board of Health and Wellness Coaching (NBHWC) criteria to earn the (NBC-HWC) certified health coach credential, you can build a career helping others live healthier, active lives.
- Integrative Healthcare Administration: Deepen your knowledge of the complexities of the healthcare industry to transform it from within and design systems that are collaborative, financially viable, and equitable. Learn how to communicate your ideas, gain support from within your organization, and build systems that center patients and improve outcomes. Apply your skills to reimagine technology, financial models, and healthcare delivery to be a leader that advances healthcare for individuals and their communities.
Bring innovation, equity, and sustainability to healthcare
Together, we can improve the lives of patients and build better healthcare for all. We are educating:
- Healthmakers who want to work collaboratively across diverse disciplines to treat the whole person
- Changemakers who want to work with complex aspects of health, remove barriers to care, and empower patients to advocate for themselves
- Healthcare leaders who understand patients, their diverse communities, culture, and beliefs about health and healing
- Systems analysts who want to change healthcare from the inside and build a healthcare system that centers patients and improves outcomes
- Health creators who can apply a holistic framework to their own lives to enhance personal growth, health, and resiliency as a professional in the field of integrative care
What will I learn?
The goal of this online program is to prepare you with skills and tools you can put into practice right away. The coursework will build upon your background in healthcare and expose you to rigorous content allowing you to progress in your field using a more integrative approach.
Upon successful completion of the program, you will be prepared to integrate these competencies into your professional life:
- Person-centered Care: Co-create a climate of teamwork to address the healthcare needs of patients, families, and communities using an integrative care approach.
- Reframe the Healthcare Ecosystem: Synthesize multiple perspectives in order to apply complex aspects of health, social determinants, and policy to influence outcomes in an ecosystem of healthcare.
- Holistic Framework: Apply a holistic framework to one’s own life to enhance personal growth, health, and resiliency as a professional in the field of integrative care.
- Evidence-Informed Practice: Contribute to the development of integrative care plans that are evidence-informed, safe, effective, timely, and equitable.
(See below for a full list of coursework.)
What career opportunities can I explore with this degree?
With specializations in Trauma Informed Integrative Care, Integrative Health Coaching, and Integrative Healthcare Administration, you can select coursework that best fits your goals, focusing on the knowledge that applies directly to your career and future.
Depending upon prior degree(s) and/or credentials, along with professional experience, you may advance in:
- Leadership positions: envisioning and implementing innovative, holistic systems within healthcare organizations or independent practices
- Patient care: apply the best practices of integrative care to your clinical practice and your approach to the care of your patients
- Administrator or coordinator positions within healthcare organizations: leveraging a deep understanding of the healthcare industry and systems, reimagining technology, financial models, and healthcare delivery at scale
- Health coaching, community health promotion, and more: helping others live healthier lives
Master of Health Science in Integrative Care – Core Courses
Up to 9 credit hours of equivalent coursework may be from transfer credit
Collaborative Leadership for Integrative Health Care
Public Health & Determinants of Health in Integrative Care
Business Practice Management for Integrative Health Professionals* (3 credits)
Equity and Cultural Sensitivity in Integrative Care
Integrative Care Capstone*
Trauma Informed Integrative Care
Biology and the Mind
In this course learners will study the interconnectedness of physical and psychological health, the essence of mind-body medicine. The relational structure and function of the central nervous system lays the foundation for a more in-depth examination of how a person’s mental and emotional health is reflected in and affected by the physical body (soma). Learners will come away with a better understanding of how they are somatically aware, in addition to being able to explain to others the implications of what it means to be somatically aware for themselves.
Cultural and Social Psychology
Trauma and Addiction
Trauma Informed Practice*
**This program does not lead to certification or licensure to practice psychology
Integrative Health Coaching
Fundamentals of Behavioral Science and Motivating for Health Change
This course will begin covering the foundational theories of behavior change in individuals, groups, and large populations. From there we will apply these methods using case studies to integrate knowledge with clinical and organization application. Learners will study effective communication, observation, and active listening skills used to evoke positive health behavior change. Assessment of stages of behavior change and motivational interviewing are integrated with methods for guiding clients/patients through goal setting and maintaining accountability.
Foundations of Health Coaching*
Advanced Applications of Health Coaching in Integrative Care*
Health & Wellness Literacy
A Health Coaching Approach to Community Health and Wellness
*** The MHS in Functional and Integrative Nutrition program and the MHS in Integrative Care – Integrative Health Coaching specialization are designed to meet the National Board of Health and Wellness Coaching (NBHWC) criteria to earn the (NBC-HWC) certified health coach credential. We are working closely with the board to adhere to the requirements necessary to be an approved training program and qualify our graduates to sit for the National Board Examination.
Each state’s requirements for professional licensure and/or certification varies and are subject to change. Please contact the Department of Health and appropriate board in your state to confirm eligibility requirements and to determine which certification(s) or licensure(s) may be recognized for practice in your state.
Integrative Healthcare Administration
Designing and Implementing Evidence-Informed Integrative Care
Research is both a common language and a currency within healthcare. While there is tremendous demand for research to support healthcare decision making, integrative care acknowledges there are several ways of knowing, and is particularly attuned to patient-centered, collaborative care. Taking into consideration the patient population, setting, safety, outcomes, patient and care team experience, learners will learn how to structure, implement, and communicate an evidence-informed integrative care system or program.
Continuous Quality Improvement in Healthcare
Teams and Teamwork in Whole Person Care
Integrative Healthcare Policy and Practices
Innovative Practice Models
Join the movement toward integrative care and bring innovation, equity, and sustainability to healthcare.
Expand Your Opportunities
With three unique specialization options, you can choose where to focus and gain advanced knowledge specific to your professional needs. Designed for a wide range of healthcare professionals, you may select from Trauma Informed Integrative Care, Integrative Health Coaching, and Integrative Healthcare Administration.
NWHSU Online was designed because we believe that the world needs a community of health makers and changemakers working to deliver the future of healthcare. For over 80 years, we have been educating people in Minnesota through our on-campus and hybrid programs. Our online platform helps us make this life-changing education accessible to a wider population of future leaders.
Diversity of experience and thought are key to the learning environment of this program. We educate practitioners, administrators, entry-level healthcare workers, entrepreneurs, and IT professionals. When each of us brings our identities and expertise to the table, we can create life-changing outcomes for our patients and build systems that are accessible and equitable.
Engage in a truly person-centered, evidence-informed curriculum. Everyone who works in healthcare, from providers to IT professionals, can center the patient through their work. The Master of Health Science in Integrative Care is focused on putting patients first and teaching them how to optimize all the tools at their disposal.